Monday, December 13, 2010

Battery Torture Test

If your definition of  cloud includes wireless, then I went "pure" cloud Saturday morning in a very non-scientific test to see how long the Cr-48 CloudBook could go without charging. As you can see from the photos on my very first post, the battery is almost half the size of this tiny laptop and probably makes up about half its weight as well. So the curious lets-poke-it-with-a-stick kid in me decided to test its charge longevity.

After all, Google did insist that I "kick the tires."
Like I said, this test was not in the least scientific. I simply wanted to put it through a regular two days of work and see how long it would stay charged. After unplugging I used the CloudBook to write and do some web building/design (my day job), check email, surf Facebook. I even watched the Warehouse 13 Christmas special, Secret Santa, on Hulu.

To make things interesting, a long car ride on Saturday required switching between 3G wireless and Wi-Fi, which the ChromeBook did seamlessly, a few times.

Because this was an un-scientific trial I didn't log how much time I spent working sans AC. For those who want an estimate that could be off by several hours, I'd say I used the CloudBook 10 hours before plugging it back in on Sunday. At that point, the battery still wasn't completely exhausted. According to the power readout in the upper right the lithium ions had about 6% of their juice left.

Considering my old gray laptop holds a charge for about 20 minutes, I'm impressed.

- Captain B.

No comments:

Post a Comment