Thursday, January 6, 2011

Week 2.5 in Review: a stickerectomy is performed and part of my brain has a party

Rest In Peace, cool Chrome sticker.
General Notes
I had intended this to be Week 2 In Review but, well, things got busy. That, and there just wasn't much to write about.

It's been almost three weeks of running Google OS and this is now my computer for 97.3% of the things I do on the internet. That, by the way, is a rough estimate. The only thing I can't use the CloudBook for is getting content off my camera and into the cloud. But, thanks to a post over at the Google Chrome Browser blog, I'll be trying their work-around this weekend.


One thing I did try is the tantalizing VGA port on the left side of the case. I needed to check the admin setting of a production Salesforce org against a sandbox that was about to be implemented and two screens would have made the audit much, much easier. No joy on the plug-and-play setup. Either the hardware isn't supported or I don't know the magic tweak to get it working. That was one of the rare instances I hopped back on my old Sony and its dual-screen setup.

Stealth Mode
Google packed the CloudBook with a modern art Chrome sticker that looked right at home on the case. The only other nominally reportable event from the week is the loss of this lone piece of branding. Unfortunately a corner of the sticker started peeling away from the case. Knowing that this was just the beginning of a long, messy slide towards stickerlessness, I sadly performed a stickerectomy and now the CloudBook is back in its original stealth configuration.

Actually, as cool as the sticker looked, it did have one functional flaw. It was slippery. Anyone who's handled the CloudBook immediately comments on the hard yet soft yet slightly suede feel of the case. It's not as grippy as rubber, but it's not as slick as plastic. Combined with its light weight, the CloudBook feels very secure when grasped with just one hand. The sticker was glossy and slick, and a few times I felt my fingers slip on its surface. So even though the loss of such a bold compu-fashion statement makes the superficial, aesthetic part of my brain sad, the pragmatic side of my brain is having a little party.

- Captain B.

No comments:

Post a Comment