Friday, December 17, 2010

Cloud Computing and the CloudBook: the news of week one in review

Because of the "real" work that needed to get done this week, I didn't get a chance to document my first week of CloudBook evaluation as well as an amateur geek should have. With all the writing I was doing, I didn't get a chance to post any processing data, app evaluations, reviews, or opinions about whether Chrome should "be killed" or cries of alarm as information moves away from my computer. I left that for others to do. 

I do have one thing to report: as a professional writer and future cloud app consultant/admin the CloudBook works.
Judging from the amount of tweets this week decrying the future failure of Google's Chrome OS and cloud computing in general (see above links), the release of the Cr-48 has triggered a sort of backlash directed at Google and the cloud concept. Judging from the mileage these negative comments have received, speaking up for this little black box might not be the most popular sentiment to voice right now. But changing my opinion because the winds of favor have shifted isn't how I roll.

So I'll say it again: this CloudBook works. With it I can perform all the day-to-day work I must to get paid. 
Take that, Technology Experts.

Does this mean the product will be successful? Well, that depends on so many unknowable factors that a comment one way or the other is essentially a guess. The one thing I can say is that this CloudBook, in its current iteration, even with its few shortcomings (like video playback), at a sub-netbook price point, would be on the top of my Christmas list this year.

-Captain B.

No comments:

Post a Comment